Sunday, April 13, 2008

TWO BOOKS BY BRUCE GILDEN

Bruce Gilden is a self taught photographer born in Brooklyn who bought his first camera after seeing the movie BLOW UP by Michelangelo Antonioni, in 1968. He joined MAGNUM in 1998. His signature WIDE ANGLE + FLASH IN YOUR FACE shots are creepy, unique and hard to miss ... here are two of his books that I highly recommend:

GO published by Trebruk, London, 2000. 96 pp., 62 duotone illustrations, 9x13¼ in.

Gilden's work from Tokyo and Osaka - yakuza, tits, scars, stitches, homeless - the darker side of Japanese society (I've been to Tokyo twice so far and have never seen that side of Japan - the surface is very normal, polite and uptight)

This book is out of print but you can get it @ DASHWOOD BOOKS, signed.












A BEAUTIFUL CATASTROPHE published by powerHouse Books, New York, 2005. 140 pp., 86 tritone photographs, 9½x12½ in.

Gilden's NYC street shots - this book is the reason I chose matte paper for my first book, IT'S ALL GOOD. It blew me away, my kind of New York ...

You can get it from POWERHOUSE BOOKS or signed from DASHWOOD BOOKS.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home