Thursday, April 3, 2008

ISTANBUL, newly discovered images

So yeah, I've been working on the ISTANBUL book, and of course, discovered a bunch of images I've never seen before (I never do contact sheets; I guess I've never picked up the habit - I'm self taught - no one ever taught me to do that)
-------------------
-------------------
I usually process the film, put it on the light box (I didn't have a lightbox until maybe 3-4 years ago; I would just hold the neg up to the light and make the selection that way) - scan maybe one or two frames per roll and then put the negative away and never look at it again ...
-------------------
Btw, Istanbul is one of the most amazing cities I've ever been to, with the nicest people EVER.... I was blown away ----> being from Serbia (we were occupied by Turks for 5 centuries and are not really raised to love them :) + seeing THE MIDNIGHT EXPRESS, I had no idea what to expect. But I could easily LIVE there ... every camera you can imagine, every film, chemicals - you can find in Istanbul. DIAGONAL is an amazing photo lab, one of the best I've ever worked with.
Also, people look very similar to people in Belgrade, you almost expect to bump into someone you know.











12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you not do any regular prints for your projects? just scans from the negatives?

April 5, 2008 at 12:12 AM  
Blogger - said...

I do prints only for exhibitions/galleries (I don't do it myself, I have a that does it ...)---> So yep, just scans

April 5, 2008 at 5:44 AM  
Blogger - said...

sorry - I have a lab that does it

April 5, 2008 at 5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats awesome. i'm curious - how do you get such clean scans? i had someone recommend using a swifter to me, but i haven't gotten around to it hahaha.

April 6, 2008 at 12:48 AM  
Blogger - said...

... I do some basic spotting (1min per image:)

April 6, 2008 at 6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

long time ago I told you that Istanbul was amazing + turks friendly ... even past times with Turks in the Balkans were a "bit" troubled. But this was history so... let's go ahead!
I think I would love (a lot) your Istanbul shit...
yo!
Ms Larsen

April 6, 2008 at 6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I ask you about developer you use, developing times for BW emulsion etc? I've been experimenting since I bought classic Nikon FM camera few month ago (and felt in love with whole process). Thanks in advance.

Angela

April 9, 2008 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger - said...

I use ILFOTEC HC for ILFORD HP5 pushed to 800. approx 10 mins developing time @ 20 degrees Celsius ...

April 9, 2008 at 11:07 AM  
Blogger patrick Dunaway said...

Thanks for this, Boogie. You have fans in Oakland, from one fellow F3 user to another! These are beautiful, keep up the blog.

April 9, 2008 at 9:57 PM  
Blogger - said...

hey thanks man - love your drawings (NIKON F is a killer)

April 10, 2008 at 6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

finally somebody who doesn't do contact prints. teachers tell me do do contact prints, to do big prints, to do this and to do that... like everything came for free...

i use whatever film that i can afford, look at the negatives, scan what i need + only print things when there's a real need. being broke makes you work that way, i guess.

plus i'd rather take pictures than spend my days in the darkroom.

April 12, 2008 at 3:48 AM  
Blogger - said...

Yeah but in the end you realize how useful contact sheets are, they really are - but I still don't do them ....

April 12, 2008 at 6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home