Saturday, February 9, 2008

ANDERS PETERSEN

The first time I saw Anders Petersen's work was on the cover of Tom Waits' RAIN DOGS album (one my favorite records of all time) - at that time I had no idea it was his work. It was a long time ago, back in Belgrade, and I wasn't into photography yet.

ROMA, A DIARY 2005 - I got this little book from my friends at DASHWOOD BOOKS, the best photo bookstore in NYC. They have an amazing selection of books, I could spend thousands of dollars there, but then I wouldn't be able to feed my family, I would have to rob and steal and would eventually end up in prison ... and we don't want that.
I like this book a lot - maybe because it reminds me a little of the work of DAIDO MORIYAMA, whose photography I'm into lately ... very dark, gritty, contrasty - you can get it HERE.






CAFE LEHMITZ - Petersen's most famous book, originally published in 1978, the first edition goes for a lot of money on eBay, if you're lucky enough to get it.
Café Lehmitz was located near the Reeperbahn in Hamburg, Germany. Open for most of 24 hours, it was frequented by sailors, prostitutes, strippers and pimps, by poets, small time criminals... Anders Petersen came across the place at the end of the Sixties and for nearly three years would spend most of his days and nights documenting it.
It's a great book, the style is totally different then ROMA, A DIARY 2005, but hey we're all changing and evolving all the time, that's the beauty of doing your own thing.






I first thought the guy on the cover of RAIN DOGS was Waits :) Kind of looks like him ...

3 Comments:

Blogger bds said...

Boogie,
Have a look at Memories of a Dog if you haven't already, it's got a lot of Daido's writing in it which is as interesting as his images..
Check it out

February 11, 2008 at 1:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Anders is defently something allright. He's the Mentor/Menthor/Teacher(?) of another accually more famous Swedish art photographer Called JH Engström (http://www.jhengstrom.com/). I don't know if you like him but yeah, just some curiosa for you :)
Rock on
// Daniel

February 11, 2008 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger - said...

---I'll definitely check MEMORIES OF A DOG

---I love Engstrom's work, saw his HAUNTS book @ Dashwood recently, good stuff;

cheers,

b

February 11, 2008 at 4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home